- "Oh, so you're an agnostic?"
- "You're an atheist, so you have no morals."
- "How can you not believe in god? That's just wrong!"
1. ATHEISM != AGNOSTICISM. Atheists don't believe in god. Agnostics believe that there's something out there. BIG difference.
2. Just because I'm an atheist doesn't mean that I lack morals. Although I think it's great that religion instills morals upon people, I don't think that they're mutually-exclusive. Do I need to believe in god to know that killing is wrong? No. Do I need to believe in god to know that I shouldn't cheat my way through life? No.
3. There's nothing wrong with not believing in god. Jews, Muslims, and Christians believe in a single god; hindus believe in multiple gods. I believe in no god. It's a matter of preference and belief. Just as I respect my friends of different faiths, I would expect them to respect my faith (or lack thereof). Does it mean that I have no faith whatsoever? I wouldn't say so. Just as I don't think that morals and religion are mutually-exclusive, I believe the same applies for faith and religion. Maybe it's all of that Star Trek that I grew up with, or all of the science books I read through the years, but I need PROOF! But that's just my opinion. I don't expect anybody to agree with me.
I guess it's ironic that I put a post up about not talking about my atheism "publically" - the Web after all, is as public as it gets. Oh well...I guess I was just itching to get my point out. :)