Anyway, I digress. If you want to get the phone to work with BitPim and the Telus data cable, you need to do the following:
- Download the latest version of BitPim from here.
- Download the LG data cable driver software from here. Click on the LGUsbModemDriver link to start the download process.
- Ensure that your phone is configured to send/receive data via the USB cable by going to Menu -> Settings (9) -> Others (4) -> Data Setup (5) -> PC Connection (2) -> USB (1) and hit the OK button.
- Run the driver software from wherever you saved it on your computer.
- Connect the phone to the USB cable, and the USB cable to your computer. Windows Plug-and-Play will detect the new device and prompt you with a dialog box to search for the driver. Select the first radio button on that dialog. You'll be prompted a couple more times for this.
- Start BitPim and go to Edit -> Detect Phone. It should pick up your phone on COM8. If it doesn't, go to Edit -> Settings, and ensure that the correct phone and COM port are selected. The phone that should be selected is LG-LG8100. This is NOT the same LG-VX8100 (that's the Verizon phone).